Custom Keycaps giveaway

Based on László’s suggestion to show how our custom keycaps look, I’d like to host a giveaway for a custom set made on Yuzu Keycaps. We’ll keep it simple, here are the rules:

• Create a custom set on Yuzu website
  • Post it in this thread (include a link)
  • May 31st I will draw a winner randomly who will be sent their custom set for free!

Comments:

If you want to see what the end result looks like, there are a few customer reviews on the website (not many because we opened recently.

If you feel like purchasing it right away and not wait for the draw, you can still participate and be refunded if you win.

We have a website for feature requests if you miss anything, and a Discord server to ask questions. These are faster ways to get your voice heard, so we can keep this thread for your creations!

Now, show me what you got!

3 Likes

IIIIII LOVE IT! I’m going to enter the draw! :love_hotel:

yay! I’ll be looking forward to it. Also odds are very much in your favor so far :smiley:

1 Like

https://yuzukeycaps.com/c/46fb7207-9637-4f44-b980-6fa9572972d4

I really loved it. so much possibilities.

I have a few feedbacks on the yuzu customisation app. quite impressed with the flexibility.

• it would be nice to have a preset of key categories to select. so that users can select a group of same category keys to customise colors
    • E.g., Mod keys / Alphabet keys / number and other special character keys / manipulation keys
    • Attached a screenshot of how they can be categorised
  • It would be nice if a preset of color schemes are provided like canva or coolors.co
  • It would be nice to have “I’m feeling lucky” kind of generator button so that when users are clueless they can get some inspirations
  • It would be nice if colours in the pallete were sorted incrementing order

While the customisation app is really cool and awesome, I think first time users can be pretty initimidated to take the first step designing your own keycaps.
BUTTTT… I did it. and I loved it at the end.
Hope the draw gets more attentions so that YUZU can be known to people more. UHK is da best keyboard I owned so far but the keycaps were not so much haha…

3 Likes

Big & bold, my eyes aren’t what they used to be :disguised_face:
I’m curious to see how close the UHKv1’s yellow case comes to the YUZU Yellow caps.

I’d love to see these in an XDA or similar uniform profile.

(Updated)
https://yuzukeycaps.com/c/7ec70fc3-656d-4b34-a13d-49805fbf8077

2 Likes

hey @eugeneer thank you for the feedback!

it would be nice to have a preset of key categories to select. so that users can select a group of same category keys to customise colors

I am working on a feature similar to this, but not quite exactly. It is hard to keep the flexibility while grouping keys together!

It would be nice if a preset of color schemes are provided like canva or coolors.co

It is true that for now we only offer 2 colorways and that is intidimating. Thanks for reminding me of this. I have pushed to add a few more colorways, and we are starting collaboration with designers to offer more options.

• It would be nice to have “I’m feeling lucky” kind of generator button so that when users are clueless they can get some inspirations

Very cool idea! I just created a feature request to remember about this and get back to it later. Feel free to upvote it if you want to be notified when it happens or gets a comment

• It would be nice if colours in the pallete were sorted incrementing order

Yes color palette is very much a WIP at this point. I am hoping to add more colors too, so that would get even messier. Sorting colors will be key indeed.

1 Like

https://yuzukeycaps.com/c/d8f53dd9-3ec2-47f3-abb8-1777d329326d

It’s great to have the possibility to create custom Cherry profile PBT keycaps with any layout for the UHK, thank you for that.
I’ve created a set for the Swiss German layout, which is currently my default layout on the UHK. The colors I’ve selected based on the navy blue UHK case.

Some minor points that could be improved:

• It would be nice to have a warning if a label is too long. E.g. it looks like “BACKSPACE” could be too long in my custom set, but I can’t be sure. I’ve replaced it with the backspace arrow in any case.
  • It would be nice to see the currently selected template in the template selection dialog.
  • Maybe offer an option to save a design under a new link.
2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and joining this giveaway!

To your comments:

• It would be nice to have a warning if a label is too long. E.g. it looks like “BACKSPACE” could be too long in my custom set, but I can’t be sure. I’ve replaced it with the backspace arrow in any case.

There were actually a few “3D preview” files missing, for both the R1 1.5u (backspace) and the spacebars. I just fixed that so it should show better now! Feel free to update your post if you want :slight_smile:

• It would be nice to see the currently selected template in the template selection dialog.

That is a great suggestion. I am working on improving the templates system these days, so I included this suggestion already in this new feature. It will be up soon!

Maybe offer an option to save a design under a new link.

Not sure what you mean by that? When clicking the link you provided, you should have 2 buttons (because it’s your own set), you can either “edit” or “copy”. “Edit” would change the set while keeping its ID, “Copy” would create another one, and a new link (when clicking the “save” button in the customization app)

1 Like

Thanks for fixing that!
I tweaked my config and updated my post after seeing this. I didn’t realize my Backspace key had the “DELETE” label hanging over the edge a bit as well :laughing:

I couldn’t help myself :star_struck:
This would look flippin’ fantastic…

1 Like

Never knew there was an app like this, this is great. Is there any way to add the key cluster to the UHK layout? I want those to match too

https://yuzukeycaps.com/c/9186db68-dee6-457f-aa3d-e34f9928bdcf

2 Likes

There were actually a few “3D preview” files missing, for both the R1 1.5u (backspace) and the spacebars. I just fixed that so it should show better now! Feel free to update your post if you want :slight_smile:

Thank you for fixing that. The end of the “BACKSPACE” label would indeed be right on the edge. I think I leave it as is, with the arrow.

Not sure what you mean by that? When clicking the link you provided, you should have 2 buttons (because it’s your own set), you can either “edit” or “copy”. “Edit” would change the set while keeping its ID, “Copy” would create another one, and a new link (when clicking the “save” button in the customization app)

When clicking the link I got directly to the editor with the white background which has the “save” button only. Also when clicking “save” there the dialog with the new link didn’t appear. I’ve deleted all cookies
belonging to the yuzukeycaps.com domain and it now works as you describe. Not sure what was going on.

I completely forgot, that the key cluster module also has 3 keycaps. As @kbt mentioned it would be great if you could add those, too.

good call! I just added a “Key Cluster” extension :slight_smile: thanks for pointing it out! and feel free to add it to your custom set

2 Likes

Just updated mine with the cluster, thanks
https://yuzukeycaps.com/c/4a4dc91a-7056-4fed-aed6-82e9c3bff72f