UHK v2 keeps disconnecting

So I have been having these issues with my UHK v2,

1. When I use mouse clicks on the left keycluster module (the mouse button not keyboard), the keyboard freezes until I click the button again. Not sure if it’s some sort of locking macro? but have been annoying enough to make me disconnect the module.

2. It keeps disconnecting/freezing until I reconnect the USB cable every now and then.

• Sometimes it disconnects completely. The left LCD does not display anything and I have to reconnect USB.
  • Sometimes it freezes until I reconnect. no keys work, no module wheels whatsoever. I thought it was because my long cable (about 35cm), so I switched to the original cable but it just happend again…

Both issues existed since the purchase. I thought it was due to the long cable and I really wanted to use the long cable until it really bothered me enough that I need to see if it behaves the same with the original cable and it did.

I love my keyboard. Only had it for a month. please help me. It happens multiple times a day.
Things I changed is the kalih switches to akko switches. but these issues existed before switching the switches. I also tried tightening the modules’ screws. currently using keycluster+trackball but the issues existed with keycluster+touchpad module combination as well.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can provide. Tried to find if UHK agent generates any error logs. but I couldn’t find it.

Mac M1 with MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sounds like jammed i2c…

Is there any source of electromagnetic radiation near your UHK?

Also may be power issues.

This guide may be helpful for nailing down the problem: Fixing misbehaving keys - Ultimate Hacking Keyboard . (Especially the “Advanced troubleshooting” section)

1 Like

No solution, but that happens to me too from time to time. First when it was brand new. Then not for a long time, so I was not too bothered. But now in the last weeks the left half randomly disconnected – luckily not that often, but still I would like the keyboard just to function. This is the kind of hardware were my tolerance for errors or malfunctions is almost non-existent. A keyboard just has to work IMO.

When my left half turns off the key cluster still works interestingly, btw.

1 Like

I have 3 laptops on the desk, a trashcan Mac Pro in some distance, 2 displays, a BT mouse and a BT keyboard in some distance as well but no other devices.

No WIFI router/AP exists in the room. I’ll definitely try the advanced troubleshooting.

:pray:

I’m not sure if I am happy to meet someone who struggles the same or unhappy that UHK didn’t solve the issue :rofl:.

May I ask how often this happens for you?

Luckily my keyboard has disconnected just a few times (2 or 3) in the last weeks. In months it has not been a problem. So I was wondering if a problem might have evolved, because the surround did not change.

I use a slightly longer bridge cable i got off ebay and noticed that sometimes my uhkv2 freezes when i use the left thumbcluster mouseclicks. This doesn’t seem to happen (or atleast i couldn’t reliably reproduce) with the default bridge cable.

I also noticed that the left half in split mode acts up when my phone (pixel 6 pro/iphone 15 pro max) is next to it. You can see RGB flicker and keyboard not registering button hits.

I did notice another thing about powersupply. If i crank up the brightness of the LEDs to something above 70%, the left half looks slightly less well illuminated and issues happen more often.

Best experience was using the original bridge cable and a direct usb connection to my pc. USB hubs have been a hit and miss, even if powered separately.

Since i need a little more space on my desk for a bigger split, i still use it on a usb hub (powered) and use the longer bridge cable but lower the LED brightness to around 50%. If my left half acts up, disconnecting and reconnecting mostly fixes it for the day.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the tip! I hope The LED brightness reduces the flickering, I will definitely try once I finish the custom cable.

I have been using the original bridge cable to verify the issues are gone.

The thumbcluster mouseclick freezes still happens with the original cable although not always.
I noticed that the custom cable has higher rates of freezing.

I had to disconnect 2 times from unknown malfunctions for the last few weeks. That could have been caused by the mouse sharing app I use. I will need to verify this again once I have less work load later…

I’ve had similar issues.
And somehow the connection issues seem to be fixed by moving any mobile phones farther away from the keyboard.
It makes no sense to me but there it is.

Probably has to do with the cheap phone cable used as a bridge cable having issues with something like a phone being near it. Couldn’t reproduce any disturbances while they keyboard halves were joined together.

I have just tried this and with the original bridge cable attached and my iphone 15 pro max sitting right beneath my left keyboard half, l2cRecovery started at 23

disconnecting and reconnecting the bridge cable increases the counter by 1.

after exchanging the og bridge cable with a longer version i got off ebay, things went crazy.

2024-06-10 10:51:54 I2cRecovery: 23
2024-06-10 10:53:20 I2cRecovery: 24
2024-06-10 10:53:33 I2cRecovery: 25
2024-06-10 10:53:37 I2cRecovery: 26
2024-06-10 10:53:41 I2cRecovery: 27
2024-06-10 10:53:42 I2cRecovery: 28
2024-06-10 10:54:01 I2cRecovery: 37
2024-06-10 10:54:03 I2cRecovery: 49
2024-06-10 10:54:04 I2cRecovery: 62
2024-06-10 10:54:05 I2cRecovery: 74
2024-06-10 10:54:07 I2cRecovery: 87
2024-06-10 10:54:08 I2cRecovery: 100
2024-06-10 10:54:09 I2cRecovery: 112
2024-06-10 10:54:10 I2cRecovery: 125
2024-06-10 10:54:12 I2cRecovery: 138
2024-06-10 10:54:13 I2cRecovery: 149
2024-06-10 10:54:16 I2cRecovery: 150
2024-06-10 10:54:17 I2cRecovery: 151
2024-06-10 10:54:32 I2cRecovery: 152

You can see things going crazy pretty fast. I did play around with LED brightness and at 100%, the keyboard froze and started counting up pretty fast. Disconnecting the left thumb key cluster and reconnecting it helped but as soon as i used that thumb cluster to do a right click, it happened again.

Seems like i will have to build myself another slight longer bridge cable out of proper quality cables.

I have observed this behavior a while ago and stopped using he longer bridge cable because of this.

EDIT:
Another thing i noticed. Not every disconnect and reconnect of the bridge cable leads to the counter increasing.

Make your bridge cable as short as possible, and if you want to go longer, use a straight cable instead of a spiral cable.

If your key cluster keeps making your UHK act up, as a last resort, a sticky tape may help.

My keyboard started disconnecting every few minutes when I stopped using it with a powered USB hub. Disconnects seemed to be related to using thumb clusters and main keys at the same time. Reducing the the LED brightness by 50% seems to have resolved the issue.

1 Like