Run Agent AppImage in Wayland (eg on Ubuntu 24)

I just switched from Pop_OS! 22.04 to Ubuntu 24.04 and ran into some issues w/ libfuse2 and the UHK AppImage (and just AppImages in general).

• Ubuntu 24 does not come w/ libfuse2 out of the box (for good reasons), and instead it has libfuse3.
  • And AppImage currently only supports libfuse2.

One option is to simply install libfuse2, however, if you don’t want to do that you can simply run the UHK.Agent.AppImage using the following command:
./UHK.Agent.AppImage --no-sandbox --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform,WaylandWindowDecorations --ozone-platform-hint=auto

Explanation of the flags:

• --no-sandbox - removes the need for libfuse2
  • --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform,WaylandWindowDecorations - tells chromium in electron to do things for Wayland.
  • --ozone-platform-hint=auto - tells chromium to use Wayland if it is available. This setting is set to X11 by default. If you see blurry windows in Chrome, you may need to set this in your Chrome too (using chrome://flags/).

Here’s an example of my ~/.local/share/applications/uhk-agent.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=UHK Agent
Comment=Launch UHK Agent
Categories=Utilities;
Icon=/home/nazmul/bin/uhk-agent.png
Exec=/home/nazmul/bin/UHK.Agent.AppImage --no-sandbox --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform,WaylandWindowDecorations --ozone-platform-hint=auto
Terminal=false

Hope this helps anyone using Wayland w/ AppImages.

2 Likes

That’s so useful to know, thanks! I just run it on Pop_OS! 22.04 without any issues. But good to know what I would have to do once I upgrade.

1 Like

@maexxx You’re most welcome! And, here’s a video I just recorded about my journey moving from Pop_OS! 22 to Ubuntu 24.

Ubuntu 24 w/ Wayland, looks like a totally different OS! This is not a small change :slight_smile: . If you look in the video I’ve outlined all the tweaks and changes I’ve had to make.

The only thing missing from 24 is auto tiling window manager. I have a list of extensions that can fill this gap if you need them.

Wayland is smooth, beautiful, and fast. Though there are some rough edges w/ some software still. Let me know if you have any migration issues! I am still looking forward to Cosmic DE (looks like this might come out next year sometime) :frowning:

But the issue is not Wayland. I run Pop_OS! 22.04 with Wayland (you can select it on the login screen.), and UHK Agent works fine under Wayland.

I think it’s more a Ubuntu 24.04 vs. 22.04 thing…

@maexxx Ah, I see. That’s cool that you’ve been running Pop_OS! 22 under Wayland this entire time!

I’ve had to ditch all kinds of tools that no longer work, eg: snippetpixie, and some other apps that I was using in 22, that no longer work in 24. The biggest thing I’ve not been able to get is a color picker that works :slight_smile: