Ortholinear UHK mod

I was ordering a 3D print, and since all companies around here have minimum order price, I was left with quite a lot of “free” credit, so decided for this experiment.

Ordered a bunch of these:

Insights:

• Originally I thought the keys would wobble to the point of unusability, but actually, this has not turned out to be a problem.
  • Some extenders/keys are imperfectly alligned, leading to some keycaps rubbing against other keycaps, which produces an annoying sensation/sound.
  • I fear about the cross stem getting broken inside of the keycap slot, so I am mounting them from outside. The mounting is imperfect as I have badly guessed at diameters, so the keycaps are not perfectly oriented. The model definitely needs another iteration.
  • Bottom row default shift is 0.50, but the zigzag extenders all shift by 0.25 key, so the bottom row is still shifted by 0.25 of a key. A good compromise between true ortholinear and staggered, as I tend to make mistakes on a true ortholinear bottom row.
  • Upper row default shift is 0.75, so instead of shifting them -0.75, I shift them +0.25, so the top row is shifted by one key, which would be a problem for keymap compatibility if I used the top row for writing. Fortunately I don’t, so I don’t care.
  • I have ordered an insufficient number and broken quite a lot of the extenders, so my top row of the left half is not aligned at all. :sweat_smile:
  • The thumb clusters being lowered by a centimeter compared to the rest of the keyboard feels weird. I will have to get used to that yet.
4 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Why not just using one of the ortolinear alternatives from the same price range (there are some options, afaik)?

You are quite missing the point. The point was the curiosity as to whether this would work.

But to answer your question literally:

• Because I may not want to spend another 1400$. Especially I might not want to spend 1400$ on an experiment if I had no idea whether I want ortholinear or not.
  • Afaik UHK has still no competition when it comes to right side modules.
  • I don’t want to have to learn another customization alternative to UHK macros.
  • When it comes to advanced features, UHK’s smart macros seem much more user friendly than having to code stuff in C as in QMK.
  • I don’t want to have to maintain yet another keymap file for an incompatible firmware.
  • I value UHK features more than I value ortholinearity.
  • This took much less time than configuring yet another keyboard from scratch.
2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks for posting about this. It’s a cool mod, I think I want to try out too. I always felt ortholinearity would be my next step, but I am not confident I really want to go there. This seems to be a decent way to try it out.

I wonder if 0.5u shifts could also be realised (to bring the bottom row into full alignment).