Key switch replacement

Hello… I chose my UHK to be boxy and clickety but I am realizing I need something less loud and with less force. I am keen to give the linear soft ones a try but don’t want overseas shipping.

There are options on Amazon for replacing. Please share any experience with non-UHK replacement key switches. Thanks!

I am also keen to try out some of the low-profile options on the switch keys. Again, the goal is to make them as quiet as possible and easy on my fingers. I also read about people lubricating their switches to make them less “hard”. Is that a real thing ? How does one go about doing that with the UHK v2 ? Thanks

There are options on Amazon for replacing. Please share any experience with non-UHK replacement key switches. Thanks!

Well, there are hundreds of options, and at the end of the day, experience depends on personal taste ¯\(ツ)/¯.

As far as I can tell, above silent red / pink sound as an excelent choice given your requirements.

Personally, when it comes to tactiles, I like switches with no pre-travel, and short travel distance. I am now using tecsees medium tactile, and although it took some time to get used to them, I am happy with them now. (They are pretty loud though.) I am also quite happy with kailh copper speed switches. (They are pretty loud too.)

I don’t mind linears, and am thinking of using them for a silent keyboard sometime in the future.

I am also keen to try out some of the low-profile options on the switch keys

Low profile switches are not compatible with UHK due to different pin layout.

There are some compatible medium-profile switches, but as far as I know, nothing silent. See The "low profile" UHK - #13 by Zetaphor .

I also read about people lubricating their switches to make them less “hard”. Is that a real thing ?

Yes, although I have no experience with that…

How does one go about doing that with the UHK v2 ? Thanks

Just as with any other mechanical keyboard I guess. Take the switches out, disassemble them, lubricate them, put them back together and back in your keyboard.

This is not UHK specific, so you are likely to find relevant information on general mech keyboard forums, reddit, youtube.

Have you also looked into O-rings? I’ve put O-rings on some of my keyboards, and it improved the typing feel and sound a lot. They make the travel a bit shorter until you bottom out, and the bottom is softened and becomes more silent. I’ve used them successfully on Cherry blue switches (clickety), and they kept the “click” but became much more silent on the bottom “thuck” – if that makes any sense… :slight_smile:

Aren’t you supposed to not bottom out when touch typing on a mechanical keyboard?

Afaik, the loud thing about mechanical key switches are key releases, not presses.

Depends. Some people hit the key until it bottoms out. Also, for some the O-rings also help “bounce back” the key quickly. It’s really much a question of personal taste and previously acquired habits.

1 Like

Try the Akko Lavender, tactile with low force. Really easy on the fingers and great for speed.

1 Like