Belt: New to modding but have an idea, how to get started?

I want to make a belt that will suspend the UHK around my upper thighs. Imagine walking around with the halves strapped to the upper thighs, and with AR glasses, connected to a SBC in the backpack.

Or, simply lying down in bed, with the keyboard halves strapped to your upper thighs, the monitor again the AR glasses.

But I have no idea how to go about this. I think I just need two metal bars that will guide a flat strap, and these metal bars should be lower than the rubber feet.
Can anybody advise me?

Please check out:

Can anybody advise me?

What kind of advice are you searching for?

I think I just need two metal bars that will guide a flat strap, and these metal bars should be lower than the rubber feet.

I guess that should work. You will probably need to attach some paddings for stability though to prevent the halves from rocking on your thighs.

I am using this setup:

It is rock solid. Works fine when standing. When lying down, the belt has to be loosened, as it is designed for elbows to be slightly behind the body (for proper posture), so the floor is in the way of that at default height. Also works great as a tenting setup when the keyboard is sitting on the table.

Screwed together from off-shelf parts, no metal cutting/drilling needed.

As for connection, I am using a 5cm usb extension cord and a magnetic adapter, so it is easy to quickly connect/disconnect.

Another idea is to use two sheet of leather, roughly triangular. Screw the UHK to it using washers and M4 screws, and make holes for the belt to go through.

Again would probably require padding for stability.

P.S. discourse prevents me from attaching more than one photo. This is annoying!

2 Likes

What an epic mod! Your contraption is very unique and seems rock solid.

Sorry about the limitation of Discourse regarding attachments. Such limitations are usually sensible, and there are fewer and fewer such limitations as users level up. I think you can add additional photos in further comments.

Alternatively, you could post your mod on https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/, where it’d gain larger exposure and help spread the word.

Thanks for sharing!

Could you post a photo or even better video, how you use that setup?

4 Likes

Thank a lot Tuna for sharing. That is very interesting. So you use the UHK like that and then as well set up on the table? Really interesting approach.

So you use the UHK like that and then as well set up on the table?

Yes.

I should also mention that I use these arm rests when UHK sits on the table: http://portableandcool.com/files/images/Holman_Arm_Rest_Holder.jpg

I see, that is the opposite like I use keyboards – with floating hands while typing… :slight_smile:

Seeing your belt as you’re wearing it, it seems like there’s a new Sheriff in town! The UHK team approves this robust, cool looking design! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And you made a special version for him. He is the first one with a left-hand trackpoint module! :wink:

1 Like

The joy of selfie-reversal :wink: (mirroring…)

1 Like